- Decorative Wood Carvings
- Hardwood Flooring
- Wood Decking
- Hardwood Plywood
- Imported Plywood
- Brass Bar Railing
- Marine Plywood
- Wainscoting Panels
- Stair Parts
- Interior Doors
- Wood Veneers
- Wood Turning Blanks
- Table Saws
- Wood Lathes
Wood Lathes: Buy Wood Lathes & Accessories in St. Louis
At St. Charles Hardwoods in St. Louis, we are a one stop shop to meet all of your woodworking needs. In addition to stocking a large variety of types of hardwood, lumber, turning blanks, and other wood, we also sell a complete selection of woodworking tools and accessories. This includes wood lathes of many different types and styles. We sell wood lathes in a variety of different price ranges including those that are perfect for everyone from the beginner to the expert. We also carry a variety of wood lathe accessories as well.
Our selection of wood lathes and wood lathe accessories that we carry includes:
- Full Size Wood Lathes
- Mid Size Wood Lathes
- Mini Wood Lathes
- Bench Top Wood Lathes
- Free Standing Wood Lathes
- Dust Collection Hoods
- Wood Lathe Stands
To see all of our wood lathes and wood lathe accessories that we have available, please contact us or come into one of our stores.
More About Wood Lathes
Wood lathes are simple machines that are used for wood turning and play a large part in the woodworking process. They allow woodworkers to make symmetrical woodwork by turning a piece of wood that is secured between the headstock and tailstock. Wood lathes use an electric motor to turn the wood at a variety of speeds. You can then use a chisel to carve and shape the wood evenly. Wood lathes allow you to complete a variety of woodworking projects including forming table legs, pens, banisters, and decorative bowls or vases.
Buying the Best Wood Lathe
While wood lathes are fairly simple tools, it is important to buy the wood lathe that will best meet your needs. When you are buying a wood lathe, there are several main considerations that you will want to make. This will help ensure that you select the right wood lathe.
Some important factors to consider include:
- Types of projects you will work on: The types of projects on which you plan to work will have the most impact on your choice of wood lathe. If you plan to only do smaller projects, a smaller sized wood lathe will be sufficient. However, a full size wood lathe will be required for large projects. Therefore, if you have the space, you may want to get a full size wood lathe so that you will not need to upgrade if you decide to take on larger projects over time.
- Amount of workspaces available: Wood lathes are large, bulky pieces of equipment that can take up a significant amount of space. When you are buying a wood lathe, you will want to make sure that you have the space to accommodate the tool. Some wood lathes are designed to fit on tables or benches, which may save room when compared to free standing models.
- Speed control: The speed of a wood lathe can be controlled either by manual adjustments or using electronic controls. Manually adjusting the levers to control the speed is typically more accurate. However, beginners may find that electronic controls are easier to use.
- Available accessories: When buying a wood lathe, you will want to make sure that the wood lathe you select is compatible with any special accessories and features you may want to use. This will make sure that you are not limited by the tools’ capabilities in the future.
To learn more about buying a wood lathe and for advice on buying the best wood lathe for your needs, visit our St. Louis hardwood stores to talk with our expert woodworkers. Our woodworkers can provide you with the answers to your questions and help you to select the best wood lathe.